Using Online Campaign Ads to Target Voters Based on Voting History with Jordan Lieberman
Getting Elected Podcast 010
The internet is opening up new possibilities for campaigns and one of the most exciting ones is online voter targeting. Campaigns are now able to target voters online based on their voting record. This is making online advertising much more efficient and cost effective. To learn more about this developing campaign tactic I spoke with Jordan Lieberman, President of Campaign Grid.
Jordan Lieberman joined Campaign Grid in 2010. Previously he spent five years as publisher of Campaigns & Elections magazine. Prior to C&E, Lieberman consulted on campaigns and advocacy programs in the United States and abroad, handling the direct mail and telephone advocacy programs for congressional and state house candidates. He managed numerous races throughout New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. Lieberman was among the first Americans to travel to Ukraine to assist the successful Presidential campaign of Victor Yushchenko, by training his campaign management team. Lieberman has a BA from the University of Pennsylvania and an MPA from Columbia University. He frequently serves as an analyst for cable news and other media outlets around the country. He had a lead role in the movie “Electile Dysfunction” the BBC documentary “Tea Party America,” and the upcoming film “How to Get Elected in America.”
In this episode we discuss:
- Targeting voters online with Campaign Grid by using cookies (code placed on internet browers) and the voter file to track and follow voters online.
- Using Retargeting and search targeting to track voters online
- Jordan explains how the US voter file is used to ID voters online
- We discuss the types of ads you can use online to talk to voters – display ads, video ads, LinkedIn, Facebook and the Apple network ads to name a few.
- Jordan explains how pricing works for Campaign Grid.
- We look at when a product like Campaign Grid would make sense to be used by a campaign. Jordan and his team have worked with campaigns ranging from presidential elections to school board elections and were involved in more than 500 engagement last year.
- We look at the changing role of advertising for campaigns – where people see ads doesn’t matter as much as frequency.
- Jordan explains the types of questions you should ask when deciding how to spend your media budget.
- We discuss the types of questions you should be asking and looking into when looking for a media manager.
- I ask Jordan to talk about an upcoming movie he was involved in coming out soon called “How to Get Elected in America.”. We then discuss the changing trends in US political campaigns.
- Jordan talks about his time working in Ukraine on the campaign of Victor Yushchenko by training his campaign manager GOTV strategy.
- Jordan shares one of his favorite campaign moments and you can see it here – he was really touched when Mike Huckabee made is New Hampshire post-election speech in 2008, recognizing his campaign manager Dev Vanderbee.
If you want to get in touch with Jordan and thank him for his interview and insight, you can find him on Twitter @JS Lieberman and you can find Campaign Grid Online on Twitter @CampaignGrid or on Facebook.